www.mahoningtownship.net © copyright 2010.
All photos and wording are property of Mahoning township or used by permission
and may not be used in any form without written permission from Mahoning township
The Carbon Limestone company's Plymouths that sat on the property of Ambrosia Coal in 1971.
The Porter 0-4-0T that sat next to the Carbon Limestone office on Rt. 224
The limestone industry about Lowellville flourished from the beginning and in its last days the old Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal—or the short stretch of that waterway that remained—was used exclusively for hauling limestone from Lowellville to upper Mahoning Valley points. Even before this time the railroads had been built in the valley and in 1872 the canal was definitely abandoned.
The Pence quarry, the Moore, Arrel and McCombs and Johnson quarries were worked extensively in earlier years. The Bessemer Limestone Company, organized in 1887, the Arrel Limestone Company, organized in 1893 and the Carbon Limestone Company, organized in 1894, are numbered among the later big producers. From quarrying limestone alone activities in this field branched out with the organization of the Bessemer Limestone and Cement Company in 1919. The last named company, officered by John Tod, president; R. C. Steese, vice president; F. R. Kanengeiser, vice president and general manager; G. G. Treat, secretary, and J. R. Rowland, treasurer, is a large producer of limestone for blast furnace and foundry flux, limestone for road work, asphalt filler and pulverized limestone for agricultural use. The same officers administer the affairs of the Bessemer Limestone Company and the Arrel Limestone Company. Robert Bentley is president of the Carbon Limestone Company; John A. Logan, vice president; M. S. Logan, secretary and treasurer ; S. D. L. Jackson, general manager. This company's quarries are located at Hillsville, Pennsylvania, across the line from Lowellville.
The Meehan Boiler and Construction Company, a leading Lowellville industry, was organized in 1897 by Patrick Meehan, James Meehan, Robert Gray, Paul Meehan and John Meehan, the original name being the Meehan Boiler Company. The change of title came within a short while after the organization of the company, the activities of the concern being broadened to include not alone the manufacture of boilers but steel construction work of all kinds.
Lowellville's growth has not been as rapid as that of some of th< neighboring municipalities of the Mahoning Valley in recent years. In the last twenty years it has been brought into closer communication with Youngstown with the construction of the interurban electric line that was extended through to this village in 1900-01, but this same period has witnessed the founding and growth of East Youngstown to the position of the third largest municipality of the Mahoning Valley and has seen the expansion of Struthers from village to city proportions. The present manufacturing tendency in the valley is northward until now (1920), Trumbull County towns are profiting most by new industrial growth. Youngstown, East Youngstown and Struthers are in like position with Lowellville, while Warren, Niles, Girard and Newton Falls are expanding rapidly, and the new town of McDonald has grown up about the McDonald works, far up the river. From its position so far removed from the headwaters of the Mahoning Lowellville is in the least advantageous
The Carbon Limestone Company
Photos taken by Bernd Fanghanel